So, as part of the whole gastric band procedure, it is expected that the person having the band fitted goes on a pre-op diet with the view of reducing the size of their liver, so the surgeon can have room to work and to fit the band.
I started this last Thursday and let's be in no doubt, its tough! I mean, I must have been eating well over the recommended 2000 odd calories a day a man is said to require to get this size, so cutting down to 850 to 1000 a day isn't easy, especially when it means cutting down on the things I love, like fats, bread and chips. So instead I have been eating a lot of veggies, the odd egg and diet shakes.
Now diet shakes are low calorie and intended to be a balanced meal in their own way. The only issue with them is that they taste unlike the real fruit they claim to be and that they are very, very, very sweet. I dislike sweet things.... yes, a bit strange for a fatty but there it is. I have tried adding natural fruit but that makes it even sweeter!
I am also finding that I am feeling tired all the time at the moment. Whether this is linked to the diet, I don't know. I do know that I fell asleep twice during the afternoon yesterday and despite sleeping well last night, feel knackered this morning again.
Sorry if this is coming over as a general moan...its one of my bad points according to my CBH but while I am at it, can I moan about the pre-op diet booklet provided by the people doing my operation: Healthier Weight. Its not as good as I expected and given that I spent over £6K with the firm, I would have expected something a little more tailored than the document I received. Thankfully there is now the internet (Question... what did we do before the internet.....oh yes, talked to each other and went to the library to look things up....remember libraries? They were the places they stored books before the Tories closed them down. Bastards) so I was able to do some research and get a better idea of what I should be doing. Also, I have ordered a book from the devil that is Amazon (pay some bloody taxes) called "Gastric bands for Dummies"...catchy title... which I hope has more information.
So anyway, has this pre op diet worked? Well I have no idea what size my liver is this morning but it does seem that I have lost 4kg (8.8lb) in four days so it seems to...... HANG ON A MINUTE... 4kg in 4 days. Surely if I can lose this amount of weight so quickly just by going on a mega strict diet I can get away without the operation. Well you would like to think so but sadly there is no way I could stick to this for more than a few more days, if I was doing it without the "reward" of an operation at the end of it all. As I said in my first post, this is NOT EASY and anyone who thinks it is is either a fool or is not taking it seriously.
Enjoy your day. I am off to find something tasty and low calorie to eat for breakfast..... not sure such a food item exists sadly.
No comments:
Post a Comment