Wednesday, 7 October 2015

T day.....

So here it is..".Merry Christmas, everybody's having fun...." Perhaps not but here it is, operation day; the day I have been dreading. So, how am I feeling? Well, apart from a sore throat which came on last night, okay I suppose. A bit nervous, a little tired (although I slept better than I thought I would. I did wake at 6am but that's not really Tom Jones...) and hungry! Blimey do I want some breakfast but for some reason, I am banned from eating until after this is all over. Or am I? The paperwork says so, but then says if my operation is in the afternoon I could perhaps have a light breakfast? A bit peeved with Healthier Weight as no one has been in touch about this, or from the hospital. I was expecting a call regarding admission but nothing came.

Yes, that is a bit of a moan and yes, I could phone them but given that I paid over six grand for this operation, the least I would expect would be good customer services: can't say I am impressed so far by the company. I'll explain why...first, our first meeting was booked for a Wednesday but two days previous to this, they phoned me and re-arranged it. I don't like being mucked about. Then when we arrived for the appointment after battling school run traffic (talk your bloody kids to school or they will get fat and have to have weight reduction surgery.....oh. And before you ask, I used to cycle the 2 miles each way to school every day) the surgeon was half an hour late and was quite rushed in the consultation. Then we were "forgotten" at the contract signing session: I had to go and find someone to talk to! Finally, there is the lack of pre op phone call and no call from the dietitian as I was expecting. Thus, overall, I doubt I would give the company more than a 5 out of 10. They better be good today or I won't be happy.

Moving back to today.... as well as not eating, I am supposed not to drink more than a few sips of water. You can bugger right off if you think I am starting the day without a cup of tea! I am BRITISH, we have to have tea or we dehydrate and die..... perhaps not but you know what I mean....Mum get run over by a truck...."Have a cup of tea dear." House blown up in a friendly fire incident...."Tea, yes please" Wife runs off with the milkman..... his loss (JOKING.... my loss as it means I'll have to walk to the shops now). So here is, a very small cup of black tea. I might be a rebel without a clue, but I think adding milk to it might just be a little too much rebellion for one day!

Moving on. I weighted myself this morning: 121.4kg. So, down 6.4kg since the start of the pre-op diet. That makes me 19 stone 1lb in old money, or 267lb in American. When CBH gets up, I'll ask her to measure me so we have an idea of how many inches I have lost since the pre-op diet began and how many I lose over the years to come.

Talking about years to come, the surgeon and all the books I have said say that victims persons with gastric bands fitted lose between 50 and 60% of their excess weight. In my case, that would be between five and six stone....unless of course they cheat and include the weight lost during the pre-op diet! While losing such weight would be great, it would still leave me being obese. Lets be honest however, I am never going to get down to my ideal weight of 10 stone 10lb maximum (or 150lb if you are that way inclined), so somewhere just inside the overweight category would suit me (sir) as a long term goal: so around 12 stone 10lb. That would give me just over 7 stone or 100lb to lose. I have no idea if that's possible, but I am going to give it one hell of a go!

So, anyway, my plans for the day are to leave here at around 9.45am, walk the 2 miles to the station and get a train to Birmingham International railway station, followed by a taxi to the hospital. Not looking forward to it all, but I am signed up now so it looks like I will have to go ahead and have it done otherwise, as my GP said two years ago... I only have five years to live before something major gives out.

Wish me luck eh, my journey to a new life starts with this single step. 



No comments:

Post a Comment